Friday, May 23, 2008

New Most Favorites: The Archive

THIS blog began when the New Most Faves started to overwhelm the original blog. Here's the archive, from whence we came...
  • Nouknouk - Confection for the Eyes
  • MUSE - Absolution
  • Inara George - It's mellifluous.
  • Melody Gardot makes new standards like it's 1949.
  • Ray LaMontagne's new album is like the best of Joe Cocker on codeine (produced by the amazing Ethan Johns), but listening to this music makes my heart beat faster.
  • Addictive modern take on electronic pop - I am obsessed with Ghostland Observatory
  • Pandora is like the whole world making a mix tape just for you.
  • C19H21N3O with a rum and coke
  • Amon Tobin slays me every which electronic way.
  • Mary J. Blige's album The Breakthrough is definitely in my top 5 of 2006 and it's only March.
  • Finally, some Cat Power I can get behind.
  • Mute Math - These boys rock.
  • Without Gravity is for fans of mazzy star and sleeping pills.
  • Roots in Gasoline by Scouts Honor reminds me of Rollins' early Black Flag days.
  • Kathleen Edwards The guitar work on her latest record makes my heart ache.
  • Maimou - Juliana Sheffield's lyrics and voice are deliciously haunted.
  • You can't not listen to Paul McCartney's Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, produced by Nigel Godrich (Radiohead, Beck).
  • Everything about Sia's Colour the Small One is beautiful.
  • The Langley Schools Music Project for aspiring ethnomusicologists everywhere: elementary students covering 70's pop hits in the cafeteria
  • Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings Try out the track "How Long Do I Have to Wait for You" and do whatever you have to do to SEE HER LIVE.
  • Jupiter One Creative, original NEW new wave from NYC
  • It still amazes me to find people who haven't heard the wonder that is Patty Griffin.
  • Martha Wainwright, sister of Rufus - Raw weird talent runs in her blood.
  • 1 comment:

    Haven't you heard? I'm stuck on a verse. said...

    I went to watch Joe Purdy at Stubb's at the end of last year and heard you sing before he went on and was immediately reminded of Patty Griffin! I had a great time watching you perform!